Sunday, October 27, 2013

So, this will be my 1st ever thought effort in trying to recall how I even started liking architecture since 2 years ago. Hmph. While I reminisce, let's hope some interesting memories will come back to me hahahahas.
 
In 2009, I did 3D art under Mr Chua Aik Boon. Did loads of pottery and stuff but nope my interest didn't show at that time. I really enjoyed working till late school hours (8+pm's relatively late for a yr2 student in the school's art room).but that's pretty much it.
 
Before 2011, I was probably really bad at 2D art cause I didn't want to give a damn and I probably got really frustrated at how I am unable to construct naturally beautiful strokes. What's worse was in primary school when more often than not, my mom would do up my art pieces ahahahahahas. But okay come 2011, I started simple sketching but mostly just copying. The 1st proper copying I ever did was that of a pig. For some birthday card I think. On my old black A3 sketch book.
 
Then came my 1st proper drawing - An entry for some NUSH banner design competition. A ridiculous competition that probably had no winner eventually but ohh well. Frankly speaking, I took it rather seriously and it is what I would say to be my most initial motivator towards the design sector. I had to craft ideas, plans and concepts to represent NUSH's education while preserving the whole simplistic and abstract feel. So, the initial stages were mostly just random mindless sketching until I realized that the proportion was horribly wrong and the size seemed ugly on (it matters since I wanted High Res. and I was intending to use a scanner so yeah). So, I invested on a new blue typical A4 sketchpad, redrew the critical portions, took a symbolic way of depiction and voila I got my product. And confidence.
 
So, at this point in time before mid-year, I still didn't know of architecture's existence. There were 4 things that brought my attention to architecture. 1, was my elder brother's thought-provoking questions that he posted to me, since I was a passionate physics Olympiad student then. He asked, "Have you ever thought how a simple yet heavy auditorium can actually by supported with just say 4 pillars on each corner? How did the engineers and architects do it and since when?" 2, it was during my family trip to KL and we were about to board KTMB back to Singapore when I saw this magazine, Issue062 of d+a magazine which featured the MBS Art Science Museum, at a convenient store and it cost rather cheap so I bought it. Yeah and I read and there I see myself staring at architecture. 3, I went to SUTD one fine day for their open house and didn't really expect myself to do anything related to architecture. But hey. Fate got me into action with this "Skycraper workshop" thing so I kind of just dived into it. Yeah, I pretty much skipped all the other workshops and events for it. Unintentionally. It's not like I loved architecture then after all. But it turned out to be really fun and eye-opening (not the usual cliché absolutely not). We got to use like giant Styrofoam, plastic bottles and most importantly, a simulation program to design a skyscraper. It was really cool I swear. And guess what? The team of random strangers eventually got an award for the highest structure created woots. It's a trivial thing but I was truthfully motivated and inspired (and brainwashed) I guess. 4, Archifest came in October 2011 and this was the major pivoting point where I really believed that architecture is going to be a highly feasible career option for me. I honestly don't remember how, why and where I found the sign-up link for this Archifest Public (AFP) Forum but all that I know was what happened that day at the Bras Basah National Library. The critical details are still fresh in my mind. How I was exposed to landscape architecture, chains of architecture projects coming up to give presentations, meeting NUS professors and people from various architecture firms. Yeah. I felt rather cool honestly. And that's pretty much it.

So, came 2012 which was a boring year (basically all that I could do was to brush up my 2D art skills and keep drawing). The only point worth mentioning would be at the end of 2012 I guess. And as trivial as it might sound, my biggest architecture influence in 2012, is, in fact, an anime! Hahas. Gogogo watch it, it's called Sakurasou no Pet Na Kanojo. It's an animation cartoon about a bunch of high school kids who are passionate in doing art, visual effects, entertainment and animation. So what makes it so special? Well for 1, the show talks about a talented girl who's also a world renowned  artist but chose instead to draw manga. It also talks about teamwork, sleepless nights and chemistry between friends to create a mega final product for the school festival. The show talks about an average Joe fighting to strive for his dreams amidst all the born geniuses. Really, it's touching, comforting and motivational. So yeah. It gave me faith to fight on without fear. (:

And finally came 2013. It was a fun explorative year since I'm relatively more free (NUSH has no A levels awwww yeahhhhh) so wheeeeee. I ventured rather crazily back into 3D art (just not pottery this time but paper instead) partly with initial reference from a school library book. From origami to pop-up cards, it was really fun visualizing the contours and folds. On the other hand, I was desperately self-learning the knowledge in sustainability too since NUSH is a math and science school so yeah. Moving on, there was Archifest 2013 (I didn't go for 2012's one), an award ceremony dinner, a Surbana private function, countless URA visits, several competition submissions (that amounted to no fruits of labour) and met loads of industry leaders. ;)

So yeah, to keep it short, here's the story of my architecture life as of now. A short yet dedicated 2+ years have passed. And I'm sure there'll be many more years to come. Which reminds me, I have just submitted my scholarship application to URA today! Yay!:D

Phew. That was some hardcore reminiscing, recalling and storytelling. :3

Love architecture. Love arts. Love life. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment